Event Calendar

04 February 2007

Moving Units (Cafe du Nord, 1 February 2007)

Remember back in the day when bands like Franz Ferdinand and the Bravery rode the wave of the new New Wave revival in indie rock? Moving Units is among those bands, but, unlike Franz or the Bravery, they never made it big. They still have this small cult following of younger scenesters who continue to be ever so faithful to the Moving Units.

Well, Moving Units haven't released an album since 2003's Dangerous Dreams. But here they were at Cafe du Nord performing in front of a sold out crowd of young scenesters. Making everyone groove to their post-punk sound that made so renowned.

Most of their set was dominated by their previous releases. They opened up with "Anyone" and that immediately got the crowd going. They sounded pretty good, even though I was in the back. If I was more energetic, I would have been in the very front dancing my arse off, but after a long work week full of stress, I couldn't be bothered. Besides, I was fine just standing in place, enjoying the music and dancing vicariously through others.

My other favourites included "Emancipation," "Scars" and "Going for Adds." They also played a couple of new songs, which pretty much sounded like their other songs. So, new Moving Units songs will be released soon, but any drastic change is not expected.

But, man, I was tired and I wish I was more into the show like the other kids. Oh well.

Beer Rating:

No comments: