Event Calendar

13 January 2007

Girl Talk, Matt & Kim (The Independent, 12 January 2007)

Ahhh...nothing says "here comes the weekend" other than a good old dance off.

Girl Talk was spectacular at the Independent tonight. What a way to start off 2007. Oh, and so were Matt & Kim, whose high energized lo-fi pop got everyone's attention.

It's been a tough week for me. Not only with the stress of work, but also because of a minor car accident I was involved in. I'm okay, but my poor baby Audi isn't. So, I needed some sort of stress relief and the perscription is more shows.

Matt & Kim supported and they were very energetic. Everytime Matt would raise his arms to count down to the start of the song, I was reminded of Jasper Future of Art Brut. Kim was definitely the person who wore the pants, with her sculpted arms being far superior compared to Matt's lanky body. But what Matt lacked in physique, he made up for with character as he was just entertaining as all hell to watch. Of course, the crowd favourite, "Yea Yeah" was a success. I wanted to chuck food at them just like their video.

Girl Talk came on next. This one man band with one working laptop (not even an Apple, but a Toshiba Satellite and a Dell XPS!) played song after song after song and even more songs mixed in between. If you were thinking that this guy would just play Night Ripper, you are dead wrong. He played some Night Ripper songs, but it was a bit more freestyle than planned.

After one girl went on-stage, the invasion began. A whole mess of people were on stage, including a couple of guys who were just absolute wiggas. I was part of the invasion along with a newly met bloke from Aberdeen, Scotland. We tried to get our friend to join us, but she was a bit reluctant. We danced and observed Mr. Girl Talk himself fiddle with his audio program (I still can't believe it's not an Apple! He had Windows XP and shit!) as he searched for folders of songs to play. I forgot the program he used, but the man is truly doing something while he's playing these songs. No, he's not just opening up his iTunes and playing a Smart Playlist, but he's actually trying to figure out what songs will mix with what. Yes, it may be a bit WTF, but who cares! It was a lot of fun and I was dancing along with the rest of the crowd on-stage. I even helped Mr. Girl Talk get down from the table and patted his sweaty back a couple of times.

Great show! If you were lucky enough to get a ticket and see the whole thing, consider yourself lucky. I want this guy to DJ my party!

Beer Rating: 1/2 Beer.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

he uses audiomulch. i asked him on myspace a few months ago.

and it's a dell inspiron

cheers.