Event Calendar

26 December 2006

Joanna Newsom (GAMH, 20 December 2006)

The last show of the year! Oh so many of them and it was nice to end the 2006 concert season with none other than the lovely Joanna Newsom. Her new album, Ys, is very polished compared to The Milk-Eyed Mender. At first listen, I thought that this new album was too long, too pretty and not raw enough. In other words, I didn't like it. However, after a few listens, it grew on me. Songs like "Emily" are really pretty, but damn it's long! It's like Be Here Now: great tunes, but prolonged.

Her live show didn't disappoint. Granted, I had way too much wine at the Inhabitat.com party before I went there, but I still enjoyed the show. The GAMH was packed and I could barely see since Joanna is pretty tiny and the stage isn't exactly that high. She played all of Ys, if my recollection is correct, including "Emily." Also, some of my favourites from Milk-Eyed including "The Book of Right-On," "Sprout and the Bean" and "Sadie." I wanted to hear "Cassiopeia" as well, but beggars can't be choosers.

Her live show gave the song from Ys some edge. Unlike the album, where the studio was able to polish off the rough edges, performing those same songs live sounded a lot like her Milk-Eyed songs: simple, beautiful and, at times, haunting.

Beer Rating: 1/2

No comments: