Event Calendar

15 January 2006

Alec Ounsworth (Tonic, New York, NY 14 January 2006)

After a spectacular Sufjan show, I took a cab towards the Lower East Side to catch Alec Ounsworth, lead singer of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, do a solo gig at Tonic. I was still in a Sufjan high, and I hoped that Alec's show doesn't disappoint.

The shows were complete opposites from one another. While Sufjan had the beauty of Lincoln Center with the backdrop of New York, Alec had to settle for the rawness of the Lower East Side with a huge red curtain as a backdrop. While I was seated in comfort and warmth at Sufjan, I was cramped and standing amongst a mishmash of onlookers. However, I had a greyhound on hand, which made things a little better.

I don't know any of the song titles Alec sang other than the full version of "Graceful Retreat," which typically is played in part and then proceeded by "Is This Love." The best I can describe Alec's solo set is that this: hokey. Hokey in a sense that it sounded like a country jamboree band. Not that it's bad, but it pales in comparison to Clap Your Hands' songs. Nor do I interpret Alec's solo project as worse than Clap Your Hands, but it's just different.

The crowd took in the show well, and I found it enjoyable. However, I couldn't help but wish for a Clap Your Hands song in there just as a teaser. Overall, it was a good show. But after the high I was in for Sufjan, it's unfair for me to have an objective review of Alec's gig. Nonetheless:

Beer Rating:

Article & Photos: Clarisse Campdoras

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow