Event Calendar

14 October 2005

Sigur Rós (Paramount Theatre, Oakland, 1 October 2005)

It's hard to keep up a blog when you're constantly inundated with all the issues that life throws at you. Love (or lack thereof), friends (or lack thereof) and feelings (or other people's lack thereof). That's why I've been so behind. At least I'm in the month of October now and I have three more shows to write about.

The beauty of writing an entry about Sigur Rós is that their music is just so beautiful and ethereal that it'll make your heart all warm and fuzzy and then it'll just explode. You don't know what the Icelandic boys are saying, but you know it's something important. But you can make up your own lyrics. You can make up your own meanings of what these oddly spelled words are.

In the beautiful Paramount Theatre, a beautiful band plays. They play songs from Takk such as "Glósóli" and "Hoppipolla" interspersed with songs from Ágætis Byrjun like "Svefn-g-englar" and "Flugufrelsarinn." Then you are just dumbfounded by the atmospheric lighting and the sheer brilliance and strength from ( )'s "Popplagið." It sounds like doom is upon you.

At the same time though, your heart tugs at you. It begs you to cry, to release these inner feelings. When you listen to Sigur Rós, your soul and heart meet. At times they go hand-in-hand, but times they fight with each other. They tug at you. Should you go with your soul, where he says, "Come with me and fulfill your destiny" or with your heart where it says, "Come with me and fulfill your desires." I don't know where to go. So, at times I was drowsy.

I don't know where this review is going. My mindset right now is just somewhere else. All I can tell you is, Sigur Ros played a great show, which was begging for a second encore and they needed to do the song where the guy sang in his guitar.

Life's a bitch.

Beer Rating:

No comments: